Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sarah's Ramblings: The Sing Off - Episode Six

Time for another fabulous week of THE SING OFF!!! The remaining eight groups are going to do battle in the hip-hop realm. Tonight should be amazing :) I am really keeping a close eye on Urban Method, because this is kinda in their wheelhouse. Also, I don't know a ton about hip hop, so I'm not sure my recap is gonna be very detailed. But I'll say what comes to mind :)

Opening Number: "Nothin' On You" - B.o.B. & Bruno Mars
I'm not the biggest hip hop fan, but a cappella has the power to make me enjoy stuff I've not really enjoyed before. This opening song might be one of the few hip hop songs I already liked.... and I officially love this arrangement!!!


Dartmouth Aires: "Club Can't Handle Me" - Flo Rida
WHOA. That "breakdown" during the last chorus? HOT. Those harmonies were a-mah-zing! And Michael is kind of a rockstar. Oh my heavens.

Afro-Blue: "Killing Me Softly" - The Fugees
Kinda cool of them to want to pay homage to Roberta Flack in this cover of a cover of her song ;) I LOVE the harmonies (but that kinda goes without saying anymore when it comes to this group). I would so buy this track.

The Collective: "Give Me Everything" - Pitbull
I was a bit worried about these guys, but they sound awesome! The beat rocks, the leads are hot. They added their touch of soul to a club song and I really think they pulled it off!

Vocal Point: "I'll Be Missing You" - Puff Daddy
Kind of expected to cry… and I am excited to see their take on the song. I hope they don't get reamed for changing it up too much. I LOVE this arrangement… and Ben… Ben Ben Ben. Heartfelt (obviously), and beautiful. And I am choked up.

The judges have decided that this week, the two bottom groups will compete in a sing off at the end of the show. The group from our first set of competitors that is heading to the final sing off is The Collective. I honestly don't know that I could have picked a group from this four. I can tell this is gonna be a hard elimination.


Urban Method: "Airplanes" - B.o.B. featuring Hayley Williams
Is it bad that I have no words? That was kind of fabulous. I'm not their biggest fan, but this song was HOT. Myke was right on with that rap, but the girls could have been a bit stronger. I did love the sounds that were coming from the background :)

(just a note before we continue: the judges are kinda cracking me up this week. so is Nick. Oh my heavens. I heart Shawn, Ben, Sara, and Nick muchly.)

Pentatonix: "Love Lockdown" - Kanye West
So, I've never heard the original of this song because I tend to avoid all things Kanye. Avi is a beast on the bass. I mean, I can feel the bass thumping through my tv. I love it when that happens! Kevin rocks the beat, Kirstie and Mitch bring some tight harmonies to back up the ever-fabulous Scott on the lead. I never have anything bad to say about this group. And I truly think they are the ones to beat.

Delilah: "How To Love" - Lil Wayne
This could be a tough one for them… let's see how it goes! Geena has a gorgeous voice… and I'm glad she had the chance to step out from behind the VP role. A very interesting arrangement. I really like it :) ((P.S. - Jo rocks the bass… for serious.)

Yellowjackets: "The Show Goes On" - Lupe Fiasco
Great great great song choice for these guys. Now, I'm never sure I'm gonna be excited about a performance that doesn't feature my Yellowjacket darling, Aaron Sperber. But, oh my heavens… I love this! Jamal rocks it out on his rap. The breakdown was beautiful. I'm kinda in love with this group right now.

Another tough decision for the judges with this set of groups… but the Yellowjackets will be joining The Collective in the final sing-off, with each group doing their take on Nelly's "Just A Dream."

I know I've said this before… I don't envy the judges on nights like this. I'd hate to have to decide between two different arrangements of the same song… two arrangements that were awesome.

My heart is kinda broken. I love The Collective. I love the idea behind the group. (And I've been a Rachael Lampa fan for years!) I am so bummed that they didn't get any further. But they definitely left a special bright smile on this competition as they sang their way out with "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan.

Next week, we get a special Halloween treat coupled with some sick superstar medleys! We also get to see Committed! (And we'll play another rousing game of find Sarah & Shaina in the audience!) See you all next week! And please leave your thoughts about this week's show below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment