Monday, October 17, 2011

Sarah's Ramblings: The Sing Off - Episode Five

Time for a new fabulous week of THE SING OFF!!! Out ten groups have combined for one hot night of a cappella that promises to bring some fabulous talent and a roller coaster of emotions!

The opening number, Lionel Richie's "All Night Long", is a beautifully full wall of dynamic sound. I LOVE this song and I love it for a cappella. Tonight definitely doesn't disappoint! (Nick says 100 voices… WOW.)

Tonight it's guilty pleasure night. I love guilty pleasure songs! I probably won't write as much for each performance this time (unless I totally disagree with the judges on something). Let's do this!!!

Yellowjackets - "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls
You don't know how happy I am to see them do this song. *giggle* Oh my goodness, I haven't been disappointed. Not only did I love the sounds, but their personality, the moves, oh my heavens. And that ending!!!!!

Delilah - "What A Feeling" by Irene Cara
I love Candace. However, she sounds a bit shaky on this intro. I mean, I know she's better than she's sounding on this song. It's kind of a shock to me. Her solo aside, I love what I am hearing behind her!

North Shore - "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis & the News
Kinda would have loved to hear them try "Mmmmmbop" too, but I LOVE this song. And I am LOVING what they've done with it! And I'll say it again… I love Guy. He always makes me smile!

The Collective - "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor
Oh my goodness, they are taking on my karaoke song!!!!! Smart move starting with Ruby and letting Rachael add the ooomph before pitting them together. I love the arrangement! I especially love their little breakdown! They will totally survive!

Dartmouth Aires - "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield
Brendan. Oh Brendan. I heart you. So, this wasn't the best Aires performance, but I still loved every second. And Brendan ROCKED that solo!


It's time for one of two eliminations tonight. Again, I would hate to be a judge. And this is a cut that I'm not so sure I agree with. If I had been on the panel, to be honest, I would have probably sent Delilah home. North Shore and their infectious fun-loving style will be missed!!! (and, I'll be honest, I shed a few tears… I'm especially gonna miss Guy.) Goodnight, sweethearts :)

So, have I mentioned just how much I love guilty pleasures week?!?!?!? :)


Afro-Blue - "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston
I loved seeing them feature all of their lovely ladies! And, oh heavens, I love this groove! The jazz chords on the chorus, the soul train dance line… it was so fabulous!

Pentatonix - "Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Buggles
Definitely wise of them to change to this song. It suits their style and abilities better, I think. Besides, I am enjoying watching Avi do his robotic walk. :) Mitch sounds gorgeous, Scott nails the lead. It's the perfect song for them! It was SICK!
P.S. - I think I'm gonna steal Sara's "ear candy" term. Don't be surprised if you see it in future blogs!

Deltones - "Listen To Your Heart" by Roxette
This is a song that I'm kind of over (I blame my brother). I wish I could put that aside, but the song choice already makes it forgettable for me. Their harmonies are tight, Courtney sounds fabulous, but it's still not as entertaining to me.

Urban Method - "Poison" by Bell Biv Devoe
I'm gonna have to preface any comments on this song by saying that when I saw the song choice, I immediately thought of Straight No Chaser's "Billie Jean/Poison" mashup. It's gonna be hard to not compare this performance with SNC. But I'll try to.
TROY!!!! Once again, he blows me away! I am loving the backgrounds on this... they are so on it! And Tony... that bass!

P.S. - Ben rapping made my night. :)

Vocal Point - "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins
Yay, I love it when groups show off just how many talented soloists they have… and hold their arrangement together, which Vocal Point totally does here. Ross and Jake sounded A-MAH-ZING! If people can't understand why I love these guys after this performance, then they must have bats in their soul or something.

Another elimination. No one likes these. But I still felt like maybe the Deltones still hadn't gasped on to what the judges kept saying about the energy level. They always had a great sound, but there also needs to be an entertainment factor. And I can't speak for anyone else, but I have to be honest that when talking about the show, I often forget about them and I think that speaks volumes about that entertainment factor. Still, I wish we could have seen that fun from the Deltones. I know they have it in them.

Next week, our top 8 groups take on hip hop… Urban Method has a big advantage, so it'll be interesting to see if they can bring it! Can't wait for next week! (It also looks like Vocal Point is gonna make me cry.)

Please comment below and let me know what you thought of this week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment