Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sarah's Ramblings: The Sing Off - Episode Nine

Opening Medley: "I Feel Good" - James Brown, "ABC" - Jackson 5, & "Crazy In Love" - Beyonce
It's The Sing Off Rhythm and Soul Review! The atmosphere in the studio that night was awesome! It was such a fun opener :)

Let's get going with this R&B super night!

CONTEMPORARY R&B
Dartmouth Aires: "Ignition" by R. Kelly
Full disclosure: I am not the biggest contemporary R&B fan. Love me the old school stuff. And I am not a fan of this song. BUT, whoa. Aires. Hot. I mean, Michael, Clark, Xavier… whoa.

Urban Method: "Knock You Down" by Keri Hilson feat. Ne-Yo and Kanye West
Katie. Girl. Crazy amazing vocals! I mean, let's be honest, it wasn't perfect. There were one or two pitch bobbles, but they didn't detract from the performance like they have in past weeks.

Vocal Point: "Every Little Step" by Bobby Brown
McKay has soul. And because he said so, I believe it. :) So, when I saw this live, I was kind of squealing. Keith sounded a-mah-zing! The dance moves made me so very happy. And Robert on the spoken bass solo - HECKS YES! And Tanner doing his break down thing - OMG!

Afro-Blue: "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey
I adore Christie's voice. I know Danielle gets featured a lot. And Danielle is great. But I LOVE Christie. I love the sultry sound of her voice. And I love the mix of the group on this piece. The bell tones into the final section were tight!

Pentatonix: "OMG" by Usher
Allow me to just pause for a second and just revel in the awesomeness that is Avi. OK, back to the song. They are awesome, as expected. And the breakdown was just fine as wine, baby.

I haven't mentioned recently how much I love our fabulous judges and host. It kinda goes without saying about now. I mean, if they are making you laugh, you know they're making me laugh :)

I am ready for the slow jams and tight grooves of my favorite old school R&B hits… are you? Let's do this!

CLASSIC R&B
Dartmouth Aires: "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight & The Pips
Michael gives me goosebumps when he sings. And I am loving the "Pips" behind him (I see you Clark, doing your adorable little "Pips" moves)! The groove was there and the song was beautiful.

Urban Method: "It's Your Thing" by The Isley Brothers
I loved their breakdowns of this song… and Richard, Tony, and Troy are all beasts! And the ladies were amazing :) (yes, Kim, that was awesome)

Vocal Point: "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by The Temptations
Ben!!!! Jake!!!! McKay!!!! Now, I'll admit that it's not their strongest showing, but I will ALWAYS be an avid Vocal Point fan. Especially when McKay growl-sings. I mean, what? ;)

Afro-Blue: "Best Of My Love" by The Emotions
Oh, but I do love this group. They are ON from the very first "ba dat" and keep it silky smooth the whole way through. Nothing more to say, I think. They definitely don't need my help to recommend them!

Pentatonix: "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye
Can I just say that I have been waiting since September 8th to be able to tell the world just how much I love this song! Sitting in my seat in the studio, I just about melted into a puddle in my seat. I mean, MELTED. It was HOT. So stinkin' HOT. From the moment that Mitch sang that "wawa", I knew we were in for a great performance. (P.S. - a song like this one only works if your bass can hack it. Avi is a beast.)


I had a sinking feeling about the Vocal Point elimination when I was in the studio based off of the judges comments after the second song. I am not ashamed to admit that I got a wee bit weepy. These guys were my faves when I first found out the groups. I know that in addition to missing their fun attitudes and amazing harmonies, I'm gonna miss seeing McKay's beaming smile on my tv every week! ;) They leave us with the memory of their amazing harmonies singing Michael Buble's "Home."

Can you believe that next week is the penultimate show?!?!?!

Short note before I sign off: the final two recaps may be a bit late. As I've mentioned before, I am a music student. And on the next two Monday nights, I have evening rehearsals for school. So, I'll be watching the episodes online as soon as I get a chance and recapping them ASAP. I am really looking forward to seeing how this thing ends!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment