Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sarah's Ramblings: The Sing Off - Episode Eight

Night 8 of the competition - it's really heating up!!!! We're ready for some rockin' country :) I know I am looking forward to reliving this week - I truly enjoyed it the first time! I also probably won't be as detailed in my recap tonight, but I do remember being very worried about a few groups this week.

Opening Number: "Wake Up" - Arcade Fire
The mix on this is awesome, the groups sound fabulous. And I just saw myself a couple of times :)

Classic Rock
Pentatonix: "Born To Be Wild" - Steppenwolf
The whole performance was just SICK from beginning to end. Especially anything Avi & Kevin managed to spit out - that was hot.

Dartmouth Aires: "We're Not Gonna Take It" - Twisted Sister
I do love me some Michael. Who am I kidding, I love them all. This song ROCKED.

Afro-Blue: "American Girl" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Let me say one thing first: they will probably never sing anything that makes me anything but happy. I love them. And I always will. And as a result, I won't always agree with the judges. I loved this. LOVED it. But hearing some of the judges comments had me worried about these guys.

Delilah: "Dream On" - Aerosmith
You know, I kind of remember this sounding better live. There were still pitch problems. And I am not a fan of scream singing (so, not the biggest Aerosmith fan either), but the arrangement was still powerful!

Urban Method: "Here I Go Again" - Whitesnake
I thought from the beginning that it was interesting to choose the minor key on this arrangement… my ears are still not sure that they like it. But you can't deny that they totally rocked it.

Vocal Point: "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks
Oh, Ross. :) Such a rockstar! I loved that they were up on platforms, like they were performing on Ed Sullivan or something. This was SMOKIN'!


Country
Dartmouth Aires: "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" - Big & Rich
You don't know how happy I am that someone did this song! This thing was staged like a Broadway show. Just insane! But I loved it. I wonder what the Muzik Mafia thinks… :) I certainly think it was the most entertaining performance of the night!

Afro-Blue: "Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum
I love when Christie sings. Love. And I love the tension in her duet with Trent. I mean, it's not technically their best performance, but it's still absolutely beautiful. (No matter how much I hate this song - it's so overplayed.) I won't lie - I teared up that night. And I'm a bit misty now.

Urban Method: "Before He Cheats" - Carrie Underwood
There were some serious HOT moments in this song. Serious. But there were also a few pitch issues. Though, a definite improvement on last week.

Delilah: "If I Die Young" - The Band Perry
Can we say "heart"? A few pitch problems over all, but Ingrid - wow.

Vocal Point: "Life Is A Highway" - Rascal Flatts
Ahhhhh, McKay. I've missed you. (and your adorable infectious grin.) :) And Keith!!!! And the harmonies. And the LINE DANCING! It was a tad fast, but whoa. Love.

Pentatonix: "Stuck Like Glue" - Sugarland
Loved it the first time. Love it now. Avi is a beast. Kevin rocks the house with his beats. Scott, Kirstie, and Mitch are a-mah-zing. (And for those of you unfamiliar with this song, the reggae breakdown is actually in the original song.)


While we're waiting for the results, I'd like to take the time to mention that I loved where we were sitting for this show… cause it's been really easy to find Shaina, myself, and my friend Jessica whenever they pan the audience. Always a thrill to see oneself on television! (pssst - we were sitting on Shawn's side of the room, right above the Sing Off sign over the exit)

SO GLAD I AM NOT A JUDGE. I was nervous for a the groups tonight, so nervous. And it's so hard to have to say goodbye to Delilah. May I use a Nick Lachey style pun here? They died young… it was hard to see them go now. They left us with their swan song, "Survivor" by Destiny's Child.

Next week, the top 5 take on R&B hits, both old & new, that are guaranteed to make your pulse race (trust me… it's a hot night for music)! And we'll play another round of "look for Sarah"! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment